Lake Murray is one of the most well-loved areas near Columbia. The lake itself covers four counties and offers 650 miles of shoreline. Lake Murray is easy to get to and can be accessed via I-26 but since the lake is fairly large, many main roads lead into the lake area.
In terms of recreation at Lake Murray, fishing is very popular and the area is known for its striped bass program and a record 52+ pound striped bass was caught out of the Lake Murray waters. Walkers/runners also love the Lake Murray dam walking path. In addition, there are multiple marinas, boat landings and rental places to cover all your boating needs.
Luxury Lake Living
Whether you want a modern waterfront estate or a fabulous summer getaway, Lake Murray will not disappoint. One can choose properties near the communities of Lexington, Chapin, or Irmo. With over 648 miles of shoreline, finding a waterfront property won’t be hard. The lake is 41 miles long and up to 14 miles wide, so if you want privacy and serenity, you’ll find it here. Whether your desire a condo nestled in a cove or a million dollar estate, Lake Murray has something for every taste and every budget. Whatever real estate you choose, you’ll share in the sunsets endless recreational activities that this 50,000-acre lake offers.
Those wanting to live on or near Lake Murray can select from a number of master planned communities. There are a couple dozen such communities in all, scattered along the hundreds of miles of shoreline.
- Plantation Pointe — This waterfront development offers lots with excellent lake views. Luxury homes with more than 5,000 sq-ft of living space are available. At the same time, more modest and yet attractive homes with three or four bedrooms offer access to the clubhouse amenities and more.
- Paradise Cove — Near Chapin, along the northern shore of Lake Murray, is Paradise Cove. The 3,500 sq-ft clubhouse includes a rooftop party deck with fabulous views. Residents automatically qualify for a boat slip in the marina. Distinctive design features include slate or shake roofs and professional landscaping. Luxury waterfront homes attract buyers for primary and secondary residences.
- Hallmark Shores was the first of the planned communities on the lake. The Villages on Lake Murray is a condominium development closer to Columbia.
- Fishing — Lake Murray is a fishing haven. The striped bass here can reach prodigious sizes. Lake Murray is a popular site for both regional and national fishing tournaments. Oakley sponsors a bass fishing tournament in late September.
- Swimming, Boating, and More — Boaters can easily keep their watercraft at one of numerous marinas or launch your boat from one of the public boat ramps. A number of businesses will set you up with a boat rental if you need one. Water skiing, tubing, jet skiing, sailing, and kayaking in the coves are all popular activities.
- State Park — Lake Murray’s well-known state park is “Billy Dreher Island.” This 348-acre facility offers over 12-miles of shoreline. It is not far from Chapin. Kids can enjoy a nice playground. The shelters make picnics and cookouts possible regardless of the weather. Miles of hiking trails offer scenic vistas and great sunset views.
- Camping right along the shoreline is possible. Campsites offer those wanting the most natural of experiences a true adventure. Vacation villas can be rented as well. Fisherman and water enthusiasts can launch their boats right here in the park.
Living on Lake Murray
Looking for a specific type of property near Lake Murray? Check out these popular searches:
- Plantation Pointe 24
- Lake Murray 20
- Harbour Watch 17
- Smallwood Estates 15
- Timberlake 15
- Autumns Cay 13
- Lake Murray Estates 10
- Bass Harbor 10
- Harbor View Estates 8
- Timberlake Estates 8
- Pioneer Shores 8
- Newberry Shores 7
- Shull Island 7
- Shelter Bay 6
- Gold Nugget Point 6
- Turners Pointe 6
- Timberlake Plantation 6
- Crystal Pines 5
- Lake Village 5
- Marina Cove 5