The holidays are nearly upon us and with all of the hustle and bustle it easy to forget how blessed some of us are and that not everyone is so fortunate. It is important to remember to give back during this holiday season to those in need. Below is a list of local charities and foundations accepting donations, volunteers and/or your time.
Hannah House is a charity devoted to helping homeless women and their children transition to living in stable homes. During the holidays this shelter offers care and warm meals to those in need. If you’re interested in volunteering you can contact them with the information below.
- Address: 1726 Sumter St, Columbia, SC 29201
- Phone: (803) 771-4357
- Hours: Tuesday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
West Columbia Community Center
Seven years strong, this community center established a food drive, giving food donated by local civic groups, businesses, churches and community residents to families in need of food. The organization serves more than 90 families Meals in a Basket. The deliveries are sent to elderly residents and shut ins.
- Address: 754 “B” Avenue West Columbia, SC 29169
- Phone: (803)739-6238
- Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels will be offering Thanksgiving deliveries early in the morning! You can volunteer to either pack, or deliver food to those in need during this holiday season. They also have three separate locations in the Columbia area, if you are interested in volunteering at any of these centers please contact them with the provided information below.
- Phone: 803-252-7734 Ext. 242
- Hours: Thanksgiving Day 9:00
Trenholm Road United Methodist Church
- Address: 3401 Trenholm Rd. Columbia, SC 29205
- Packing– 9:00 AM-10:30 AM
- Pick up for Delivery 10:45 AM– 11:45 AM
Westminster Presbyterian Church
- Address: 1715 Broad River Rd. Columbia, SC 29210
- Packing – 9:00 AM-10:15 AM
- Pick up for Delivery 10:30 AM-11:30 AM
Palmetto Health Cancer Center
Contact this center if you are interested in volunteering on Thanksgiving! Palmetto Health Cancer Center is having it’s Holiday Helpings and Hope run which joins volunteers and donors to give over 200 dinner baskets to people and families in need!
- Holiday Helpings and Hope: (803)434-4752
- Address: 9 Medical Park Rd, Columbia, SC 29203
- Phone: (803) 296-3000